MAURICIO has been a Board Member of the Colombian Central Bank (Banco de la República) since February 2021. Born in Cali (Colombia), he holds a M.A. and B.A. in Economics from Universidad de los Andes and a Ph.D. and M.A. in Economics from Georgetown University. Having joined the Central Bank in 2014 as a research economist, he went on to work as Chief Officer for Economic Studies in 2018.
- Ph.D. in Economics, Georgetown University, Washington. D.C.- USA, 2014.
- M.A. in Economics, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.- USA, 2010.
- M.A. in Economics, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá - Colombia, 2007.
- B.A. in Economics, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá - Colombia, 2006.
- Board Member of the Colombian Central Bank (Banco de la República), February 2021 to date
- Chief Officer for Economic Studies at the Colombian Central Bank, 2018 – February 2021.
- Research Economist at the Colombian Central Bank, 2014 – 2018.
- Economic Specialist at USAID / Colombia, 2007–2009.
- Economic Analyst at the Colombian Congress (Legislative Team, UTL), 2006.
- Economic Analyst at the Colombian Central Bank, 2005-2006
Monetary Policy, Econometrics, International Finance, Empirical Macroeconomics
Macro and International Finance
- Universidad de los Andes, Colombia 2014 - 2020
Game Theory (Micro II)
- Universidad del Rosario, Colombia 2016
- Universidad del Rosario, Colombia 2015
- Georgetown University, USA 2013
Principles of Macroeconomics
- Universidad de los Andes, Colombia 2011, 2013
- “Effectiveness of FX intervention and the flimsiness of exchange rate expectations” with Hernando Vargas. 2021. Journal of Financial Stability, article in press, ISSN 1572-3089.
- “The effectiveness of FX interventions: A meta-analysis” with Lucia Arango, Daniela Rodriguez, and Lukas Menkhoff. 2021. Journal of Financial Stability, article in press, ISSN 1572-3089.
- “Exchange Rate Effects of financial Regulations” with David Perez. 2019. Journal of International Money and Finance, vol 96 (C), pages 228-245.
- “Effects of FX Intervention in Colombia: Evidence from a Rule-Based Policy in Colombia” with Guido Kuersteiner and David Phillips. 2018. Journal of International Economics, Vol. 113, pages 118-138.
- “The Effects of Monetary and Exchange Rate Policy Shocks: Evidence from an Emerging Market Economy,” with Kursat Onder. 2018. International Journal of Central Banking, Vol. 14(1), pages 159-199.
- “When Multiple Objectives Meet Multiple Instruments: Identifying Simultaneous Monetary Shocks” with Daniel Ordonez and Juan D. Hernandez. 2018. International Review of Economics & Finance, vol. 21(2), pages 195-213.
- “A Theoretical Approach to Sterilized Foreign Exchange Intervention,” with David Perez 2017. Journal of Economic Surveys, vol (31)1, pages 343-365.