Place of birth: Cali, Colombia
Date of birth: December 20th, 1952
Profession: Economics and Sociology
1. Personal Information
Marital Status: Married to Ana Lucia Lalinde. Three children: Rocío Macarena, Juan Camilo and María José.
2. Academic Degrees
Ph. D., Economics, Yale University, December 1976.
B. A., Economics and Sociology, University of Notre Dame, May 1972.
3. Selected Distinctions
- Member of the Colombian Academy of History, since 2018.
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, 2014.
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogotá, 2013
- Jaume Vicens Vives Prize of the Spanish Association of Economic History for the best book on Spanish or Latin American economic history, 2012
- Leontief Prize for Advancing the Frontiers of Economic Thought, Tufts University, Global Development and Environment Institute, 2008.
- Order of Merit of Chile, Great Cross, Santiago, 2003.
- Doctor Honoris Causa, San Marcos University, Lima, 1998.
- Order of Boyacá, Great Cross, Bogotá, 1997.
- CEO of the Year, Cámara Junior de Bogotá, 1989
- “Alejandro Angel Escobar” National Science Award, 1988.
- Fellow of the Colombian Academy of Economics, since 1987.
4. Professional Experience
A. Main Activities
- Member of the board of the central bank of Colombia (Banco de la República) since June, 2017.
- Professor of Professional Practice, School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA), co-President of the Initiative for Policy Dialogue, and Member of the Committee on Global Thought at Columbia University, since July 2007. Director of the Economic and Political Development Concentration of SIPA since August 2008. Chair of the Faculty Steering Committes of the Columbia Global Centers in Santiago and Rio de Janeiro since 2012, and Member of the Executive Board of the Institute of Latin American Studies, 2009-2016. Courses taught since 2007: Global Economic Governance, Economic Development of Latin America, Macroeconomic Policy and Development, Introduction to International Development, Multidisciplinary Approaches to Development, and Comparative Development.
- Chair of the Committee for Development Policy of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for the periods 2013-2015 and 2016-2018.
- Chair of the Independent Commission for the Reform of International Corporate Taxation (ICRICT, http://www.icrict.org/) organized by a coalition of civil society organizations, 2015-2016.
- Visiting Professor, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, January-June 2016.
- Goodwill Ambassador for Social Protection of the International Labor Organization since November 2015
- Chair of the Commission on Rural Development of Colombia (Misión para la Transformación del Campo) convened by the President of Colombia, 2014-2015.
- Member of the Commission on Global Security, Justice and Governance, organized by the Hague Institute for Global Justice and the Stimpson Center, 2014-2015.
- Chair of the panel created by the IMF Board to review the activities of the IMF’s Independent Evaluation Office, August 2012- March 2013.
- Candidate for President of the World Bank on behalf of a group of developing countries, 2012.
- Co-Director of the United Nations Development Programme and Organization of American States Project on Democracy in Latin America, 2008-2010.
- Member of the Commission of Experts of the UN General Assembly on Reforms of the International Monetary and Financial System, 2009.
- United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs and, as such, head of the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN-DESA), September 2003-June 2007.
- Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC/CEPAL), January 1998-August 2003.
- Minister of Finance and Public Credit of Colombia, May 1996-November 1997. In that capacity, Chair of the Board of Banco del República (Central Bank of Colombia).
- Director, National Planning Department (Minister of Planning), August 1994-May 1996.
- Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, March 1993-August 1994. In that capacity, Chair of the Board of Banco Cafetero (Coffee Bank) and Caja de Crédito Agraria, Industrial y Minera (Agrarian Bank).
- Senior Researcher, FEDESARROLLO, October 1988-March 1989, and November 1991-March 1993.
- Advisor to the Colombian Foreign Trade Board, August 1990-November 1991.
- Head of SIDA-WIDER (Swedish International Development Authority and World Institute for Development Economic Research) Mission to Nicaragua, October 1989-March 1993. Mission member, January-September 1989.
- Advisor to the Colombian Government on Coffee Affairs, April 1989-April 1990.
- Executive Director, FEDESARROLLO, 1984-1988. Deputy Director, 1983-1984. Coeditor of the Journal Coyuntura Económica, 1984.
- National Coordinator, Employment Mission, 1985-1986.
- Director, Centro de Estudios sobre Desarrollo Económico (CEDE), Universidad de los Andes, 1980-1982, and Director of the Journal Desarrollo y Sociedad. Professor of the Department of Economics and Researcher at CEDE, Universidad de los Andes, 1976-1979.
- Member of the CNE Growth Commission for Puerto Rico of the Centro para una Nueva Economia (CNE) 2017, of the Advisory Group of the International Monetary Fund on Special Drawing Rights (SDRs) in 2016-2017, of the OECD Expert Global Panel on Multidimensionality in 2016-2017, of the International Council of RIMISP/Centro Latinoamericano para el Desarrollo Rural in 2016-2017, of the Executive Committee of the International Economic Association (IEA) since 2014, of the Advisory Council of the Natural Resource Governance Initiative since 2014 (previously of the Technical Advisory Group of the Natural Resource Charter), of the Advisory Committee of Club de Madrid since 2010, of the International Academic Council of the Institut Barcelona d’Etudis Internationals since 2008, of Yale University President’s Council of International Activities since 2005, and Member of the Foundation Ciculo de Montevideo since 2000.
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of FEDESARROLLO, of the Board of Directors of the North-South Institute of Canada, of the Board of Visitors of Darmouth College Dickey Center for International Understanding, of the Board of Directors of the South Centre, of the Executive Committee of the Latin American Economic Association (LACEA), of the Expert Group on the New Industrial Policy of the E-15 Initiative on “Strengthening the World Trade System” of the International Center for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) and the World Economic Forum, of the Global Alliance for ICT and Development, the UN ICT Task Force (Chair in 2004-05), of the Boards of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), Fundación Social, COLMENA and CORPAVI Savings Banks, and the Instituto de Mercadeo Agropecuario of Colombia (IDEMA).
- Consultant at different times to the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN-DESA), the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the UN Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC/CEPAL), the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), the International Labor Organization (ILO), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the the Development Bank of Latin America (CAF), the Latin American Reserve Fund (FLAR), the Iberoamerican Secretariat, Club de Madrid, the South Centre, and the Inter-Parlamentary Union (IPU).
- Co-editor of the Journal of Globalization and Development. Member of the Editorial Boards/Councils Pensamiento Iberoamericano (Secretaría General Iberoamericana, SEGIB), Revista de la CEPAL/CEPAL Review (UN Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, ECLAC), El Trimestre Económico (Mexico), and Desarrollo y Sociedad (CED, Colombia), and of the Board of Patrons of the Review of Keynesian Economics.
- Member of the Research Review Group of the International Labor Organization (ILO) in 2015, of the Academic Advisory Panel for UNDP’s Human Development Report of 2009, 2011, 2014 and 2015, of the Advisory Council for the Regional Human Development Report for Latin America and the Caribbean for 2015.
- Member in different time periods of the Editorial Boards of Journal of Development Economics, Economic Forecasts, Journal of Latin American Studies, and Foreign Affairs en español.
- Regular contributor to Project Syndicate (http://www.project-syndicate.org/), with op eds. published in several newspapers throughout the world. Occasional contributor of op eds to other newspapers and websites.
B. Other Academic and Policy Activities
- Editor of the Special Issue on Fiscal Policy of the journal Cuadernos de Economia, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, No. 67, 2016.
- Summer Professor, Faculty of Economics, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, since 2012.
- Will Clayton Non-Resident Fellow in International Economics at the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy, Rice University, 2008 and 2009, and of the Latin American Initiative in 2013-2016.
- Professor, Latin American Program on Rethinking Development Economics, Getulio Vargas Foundation, São Paulo, Brazil, since 2009.
- Short-term Professor of School of Finance, Government and International Relations, Universidad Externado de Colombia, Bogotá, since 2008.
- Professor, Cambridge Advanced Programme on Rethinking Development Economics, Cambridge University, 2001-2008.
- Professor of the Department of Economics at Universidad de los Andes, 1976-1984, 1988 and 1993. Courses taught: Advanced Macroeconomics, Advanced International Economics, International Trade, Colombian Economic Policy, Economic History of Colombia, History of Economic Thought.
- Professor of Postgraduate Studies in Economic History, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, 1990. Course taught: Economic History of Colombia in the Twentieth Century.
- Visiting Researcher, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, UNCTAD, June-August, 1992.
- Visiting Fellow, Oxford University, Spring 1984.
- Visiting Fellow, Yale University, Summer 1977.