Place of Birth: Pereira, Risaralda
Date of Birth: August 3, 1942
Profession: Graduate in Philosophy and Letters
- Degree in Philosophy and Letters
Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
- Master's Degree in Economics
Universidad de los Andes
- Doctorate Studies
Christian Albrecht Universität, Kiel, Alemania
- Honorary Degree in Social Sciences, Childhood and Youth
International Center for Education and Human Development (CINDE) and the Universidad de Manizales (Colombia)
- Headmaster of the Universidad Autónoma de Manizales, Colombia (2000-2009).
- Professor of Economics at the universities of Los Andes, Jorge Tadeo Lozano and Javeriana, Bogotá (1997-1981). Dean of the Faculty of Economic and Administrative Sciences,
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogotá (1990-1994). Vice-Minister of Finance (1985 - 1986).Director of the Colombian National Planning Department (Departamento Nacional de Planeación), 1986.
- Head of the Public Investments Unit of the National Planning Department (1981 - 1983).
- Professional consultant in economics in different Latin American countries, as a member of missions of the World Bank, the Interamerican Development Bank, the UN and USAID (1986-2000).
- Director of the Center for Regional, Coffee-growing and Managerial Studies (CRECE) in Manizales, Colombia, where he headed studies of regional impact, such as the program for restructuring and developing coffee-growing regions for the Colombian Federation of Coffee-Growers, and the Program on Competitivity of the Colombian Department (State) of Caldas (1995-2000).
- His work as an investigator has covered subjects related to regional development, decentralization and public policies.He has published numerous articles for magazines and book anthologies sponsored by such institutions as the Center for Investigation and Social Action (CLAS), the Colombian National Apprenticeship Service (SENA), the World Bank, the Universidad Javeriana (Bogotá), Fedesarrollo (Colombia), CRECE and the Universidad Autónoma de Manizales (UAM), Colombia.